MUC has occupied the Templestowe site since it was opened as a Presbyterian Church in 1896. This delightful, simple timber church building, typical of the nineteenth century, is locally heritage listed and remains functional. Now the site is much larger and contains a 200-seat brutalist clinker brick church (1962), which also has a local heritage classification, a general-purpose hall (1955) and a residence (1960).
The site has a central Templestowe location on the edge of the renowned Templestowe Village shopping centre. It is close to Westerfolds Park about 16 km from Melbourne.
Community functions of all descriptions have been held here for over 120 years and the two church buildings will continue to serve the same, expanded, purpose after the current redevelopment has been completed.
The older church is suitable for small meetings, dancing and drama classes, small weddings and funerals, table games and the like. There is a store room and an entrance porch.
The brick church has regularly been used for weddings and funerals, music recitals, choral groups and instrumental recitals. There are office and meeting rooms on a lower level.
The hall has a kitchen and has been used for dinners, meetings, dancing and drama classes and table games. It has regularly served as a Polling Booth.
[All the buildings are used for our worship services and other churches can and do use them as well.]