This week is Refugee Week. Usually we would be meeting in different ways to celebrate the cultures and stories of those seeking refuge or asylum in Australia, but we can’t at the moment. However, there is still plenty we can do.
- speak to members of our Connections group to find out what they need
- pray, pray and pray some more
- write to our politicians telling them we haven’t forgotten those people in detention centres despite trying to deal with this covid-19 situation ourselves
Imagine being in fear of your life. Imagine not being able to turn to the government or police to protect you – imagine they are the ones killing and torturing their own citizens. Where would you go to seek safety? Jesus’ family fled to Egypt as do many refugee families today. Follow the links here to learn about people’s stories and how you might be able to show support. And, of course, there’s a Lost Sheep book for everyone to share – Jesus was a Refugee.
- Uniting Church Assembly website: https://assembly.uca.org.au/news/item/3198-fostering-a-spirit-of-welcome
Offers a number of suggestions about how to get involved
- Refugee week website https://www.refugeeweek.org.au/
Offers resources and events
- Participate in our Palm Sunday March specifically focusing around refugees –https://manninghamuc.org/2020/04/04/a-palm-sunday-prayer-march-for-refugees-whilst-we-need-to-stay-at-home/